Contact us to learn more about our programs
Would you like to join us?
The work-study program is the ideal way to continue acquiring skills and to learn about working life. Under a professionalization or apprenticeship contract, a work-study program in IT is a godsend for all students. Whether financially or professionally, having your first salary and putting your theoretical knowledge into practice is valuable. This type of training is suitable for all levels. Let’s find out why you should do a work-study program in computer science.
Why choose to follow a work-study program in computer science?
If you want to start a professional career in IT, you should know that a sandwich course is the best option for professional integration.
When recruiters are looking for new talent to add to their team, work-study students are at the top of the list. Work-study training is a strong point for computer science students because:
- they can put their theoretical learning into practice within the company. It is a real immersion in the professional world. The student is confronted with the reality of the work and brings his new ideas in the IT environment;
- Students can choose the work-study program at all levels, from the CAP to the master in computer science;
- It’s a plus on the CV, with a diploma in hand, the student can display his professional experience during his training.
What does a work-study program in computer science consist of?
The computer training in computer science consists of:
- sign a professionalization or apprenticeship contract with a company during their training. By integrating a company during his or her computer science course, the student can apply the knowledge acquired in theory;
- avoid additional costs for training. The financing of the training is integrated in the program and the costs are borne by the company and the school;
- earn their first salary, the work-study student is paid according to the contract. The salary is a percentage of the SMIC depending on age and establishment;
- benefit from the advantages of the two statuses as a student and employee.
How long does a work-study program in computer science last?
You should know that a student can choose a sandwich course from the first year until he or she obtains a master’s degree in computer science. From 16 to 30 years of age, a student can choose a position in information technology adapted to their training.
Depending on the contract signed with the company and the school, the duration of the work-study program may vary:
- for an apprenticeship contract, the work-study period can last from 6 months to 4 years;
- for a professionalization contract, it lasts from 6 to 12 months. Depending on the needs of the company, the development of the student and the school, the duration can reach 24 months.
What type of contract should I sign for a work-study program in IT?
A work-study program in computer science is beneficial for both the student and the company. For the school, it facilitates the professional integration of its alternating students.
- This type of training can be under a professionalization contract or an apprenticeship contract. The latter can last from 6 months to 3 years until the master in computer science is obtained;
- The alternation under a professional contract lasts between 6 and 12 months. The company can extend the duration up to 24 months and sign a permanent or fixed-term contract.
How much does a student in a computer science internship earn?
Even if you are still a student during the IT work-study program, the company is obliged to pay you a salary.
- this remuneration is calculated on the basis of the SMIC. It is estimated according to the age of the student, his/her level of study and the type of contract signed with the company;
- This salary is not taxable and the student benefits from his or her status as a student and employee. In addition, the training is free of charge, as it is paid for by the company and the school.
How to find a work-study program in computer science?
To find a work-study program in computer science, you can start as soon as you obtain your BAC. Schools and companies select and recruit young graduates, especially in the IT sector.
More than 25% of the recruitments within IT companies are oriented towards work-study training. If you have decided to embark on this adventure, search on the internet for companies in your area that are recruiting for work-study programs in IT.
From the age of 16, you can get information from the Pôle emploi, the CFA and the nearest CCI.
Is it possible to follow a sandwich course in computer science at ECE?
Yes, the ECE works like most schools and faculties in France. It is possible to follow a sandwich course in computer science at ECE. In fact, in the Grande École Engineering Program, students can choose from the 1st and 2nd years. At ECE, this type of training can be integrated in the preparatory cycle and 3rd year of the engineering cycle. Please note that the latter concerns the 3rd, 4th and 5th year of the Grande École Program.Updated 4 May 2023